Today’s officially the first day of summer and we all know what that means — sun, beaches, euphoria and of course: MOSQUITOES. ugh.
I know, I know, not everyone’s that bothered by them. As a matter of fact, many of my friends barely ever get stung by one while I seem to be their favourite donor. And of course, I am allergic to them and I swell up like a balloon which looks very appealing in cute summer dresses.
If you’re like me and you just want to enjoy your summer without worrying about looking like you have some severe skin disease, then fear not because I got the solution that just might save your summer!
This, my friends, is my tried and true DIY Anti-Mosquito spray. I brought it with me everywhere I went and I barely ever got stung! This is an all natural ‘recipe’ and it even helps calm your skin when you do get a mosquito bite.
So here’s what you need:
- A 100ml/3.4oz empty bottle (or something smaller, but 100ml is the official limit of cabin bag allowance)
- Witch Hazel (you can get the one I use on Amazon: here)
- Various essential oils (I recommend: Lemongrass, Citronella, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Orange and Lavender) (I would recommend getting a small kit like this one, just because it’s cheaper than buying single ones, as you do get smaller bottles but you don’t need that much)
- OPTIONAL: if you want to be extra fancy like me, add some gold infused (or not) body oil to help hydrate your skin as essential oils can sometimes be a little drying. I used the Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Or because it’s my favourite oil! (You can read more about it here on my blog!)
Let’s get to mixing then! It’s fairly easy so:
- Take your bottle and fill it about 3/4 with Witch Hazel.
- Add some water to dilute it, but not too much.
- Add 60-80 drops of essential oils, make your own mix! What you add depends on how you want your spray to smell. However, make sure the base smell is essentially Tea Tree and Citrus-ey as those are the ones I found mosquitoes to be most disgusted by.
- Optional: add body oil.
- Shake well before every use! Spray lightly all over your body (even safe to use as a facial spray). Repeat every 3(-ish) hours to maintain optimal protection.
- Enjoy your summer!
And that’s it. Thank you for reading and have a great summer!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @cathalie_ to see what I am up to this summer!